Imagine a medical weight-loss program where:
- Being overweight is treated as a chronic progressive genetic disease.
- You are told that being overweight (in most cases) is not your fault!
- Patients are seen monthly, (not daily or weekly).
- The psychological, prejudicial, and discriminatory aspects are addressed.
- The ulitmate goal goes well beyond weight-loss itself, but extends to the improvement in self esteem, empowerment and health as unexpected gifts of long term weight-loss success.
At Weight No More we provide a comprehensive medication assisted weight loss program. The true goal of any weight loss program, medical, commercial, or otherwise should be long-termweight loss maintenance. Remember obesity, much like other diseases, i.e. diabetes and hypertension, the goal of treatment is control, not cure.
Although diet and exercise are very important of a successful program, we believe that the use of medication for both appetite and craving control are necessary for the vast majority of patients not only to lose weight, but more importantly to maintain their weight loss.
Medications that we currently use include:
- Appetite suppressants: phentermine, Adipex, diethylproprion, Didrex
- Antidepressants: SSRI’S (Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro, Celexa, Luvox)
- SNRI’S (Effexor, Savella, Pristiq
- NDRI’S (Welbutrin SR,XL Aplenzin)
- Anti-diabetics: Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Fortemet, Byetta (injectable)
- Anti-convulsants: Topamax, Topiramate, Zonegran, Zonisamide
Above medications are often used in combination to suppress appetite, control cravings, improve insulin sensitivity and lower the metabolic set-point.
What about diet?
We stress high protein, low carbohydrate, low fat eating for most patients. In general, we place little emphasis on calorie counting, exchange lists and specific diets. Rather we encourage sensible eating with helpful hints, guidelines and recommendations for meals. For those who prefer to count calories and grams of food, we have take-out pamphlets to make that easier. We offer high protein snack bars from Bariatrix. These are the best we have found nutritionally. We also have high protein, low carbohydrate meal replacement shakes from HMR. We provide samples for our patients to try.
We encourage exercise in any form. Consistency is the key to success. In general, exercise has very little effect on weight loss or maintenance for several months. Major benefits include cardiovascular conditioning, body toning, lowering of cholesterol and blood pressure, increasing HDL, and sense of well being. So please: exercise, exercise, exercise.
We see our patients on a monthly basis. Once goal weight is achieved, patients are seen every six weeks for maintenance.