Originally from Philadelphia, Dr. Skversky received his medical degree from Hahnemann University (formerly Hahnemann Medical College) in 1970. He completed his family practice residency at Hoag Memorial Hospital in Newport Beach, CA, in 1973 and became a diplomate of the American Board of Family Practice the same year. Dr. Skversky is a staff physician at Hoag Memorial Hospital, a member of the American Medical Association, Orange County Medical Association, and the American Society of Bariatric Physicians. Dr. Skversky had been a family practice physician in Newport Beach for more than 22 years before practicing bariatrics full time.
Dr. Skversky has committed the past eighteen years of his professional career to the medical treatment of the overweight and obese patient. He has been at the forefront of treating obesity as a chronic disease using combination drug therapy, in addition to diet and exercise protocols on a long term basis.
He has written numerous articles discussing the myths associated with weight control, putting diet and exercise in proper perspective, and the essential role of pharmacotherapy for long-term weight loss. Dr. Skversky states, “Obesity is a metabolic, chronic and progressive disease with a significant genetic predisposition. It is similar to other diseases like diabetes and hypertension which it can cause or make worse. Chronic diseases need long-term drug therapy, in most cases, for control not cure.”
In the past, Dr. Skversky has been featured in the Wall Street Journal and has appeared on “The Dr OZ Show,” “Good Morning America,” “The Today Show,” and “The Early Show” discussing the appropriate use of medication “off label” for long-term weight loss.
Dr. Skversky recently retired, but are still adapting to the model that he has started.
Articles by Dr. S
Recent Articles Written by Dr. Skversky
- The Oprah Enigma…A Weight Question
- Pharmacotherapy (Drug Therapy) for Medical Weight Loss – Part 1
- Pharmacotherapy (Drug Therapy) for Medical Weight Loss – Part 2
- Medical Weight Loss…Dispelling the Myths – Part 1
- Medical Weight Loss…Dispelling the Myths – Part 2
- Medical Weight Loss…Dispelling the Myths – Part 3
- “Alli” – The New OTC (over the counter) Fat Blocker?
- Letter to Florida Medical Board
- E-mail to Oprah Winfrey and Dr. Phil
- Downsizing for a Healthier and Longer Life
- Overweight Individuals need “Weight No More”
- Mayo Clinic “Study”
- Lessons Learned from Phen-Fen
- An Open Letter to Patients of Weight No More
- Diets and Weight Loss
- Metformin Increases Weight Loss
- Weight No More’s Believe it or Not I
- Weight No More’s Believe it or Not II
- Weight No More’s Believe it or Not III